Before Bihar was created and was being administered from Calcutta a club was already in existence in Patna known as the Bankipore Club on the bank of Ganges. However, the entry of Indians or natives as they were called then was not tolerated. With the establishment of the High Court in Patna therefore, on the initiative of the English judges and large number of English educated barristers it was thought fit to set up another club where there would be no segregation and the Indian and the English virtually all of them being judges and lawyers of the Patna High Court were able to intermingle and socialize without any ethnic complexes. Since this club was going to be situated in the part of the city that was to be called New Patna on the lines of New Delhi, this club was named as The New Patna Club.
After the formal opening of the Patna High Court in 1917, the judges and the barristers keenly felt the need of a sufficiently commodious piece of land for a club building and for two or three Tennis Courts. A delegation consisting of Justice E.P. Chapman, Justice F. Roe, Mazharul Haque, Syed Sultan Ahmed, Syed Hasan Imam, Muhammad Nurul Hoda, P. R. Das, Sachchidanand Sinha and others met Sir Edward Albert Giat, the then Lt. Governor of Bihar and Orissa on 1st January 1918 and made a request for the grant of a plot in the vicinity of the High Court. Sir Edward gave his full support to the idea and asked Mr. William Maude, a member of his Executive council to find such a land without delay and to take appropriate steps immediately. The Secretary-cum-Chief Engineer, P.W.D., Building Bench, Mr. E.G. Stanley acted with rapidity and by 14th January, 1918 a land extending from the present Beer Chand Patel Path (earlier known as Gardiner Road) eastwards was selected and leased out on an annual rental fee of Rs. 1/-. As the said plot was still less than what was required, Sir Syed Sultan Ahmed readily helped the cause by surrendering a large portion of land from the compound of his house, Sultan Palace.
By the end of February 1918, an agreement was entered into formalizing the grant of land on a ten years duration and renewable cycle of lease. For raising necessary funds for the construction of the club building, debentures were floated under the provision of the Indian Companies Act. From a letter dated 27th March, 1918, from Mr. A Ahmed, Registrar Joint Stock Companies Bihar and Orissa, addressed to the Secretary, Govt. of Bihar and Orissa, Revenue Department, it appears that the articles of the association of the New Patna Club were duly registered on that date. Thus was born The New Patna Club. It had a distinguished patronage and could boast of people like Sir Ali Imam, Mr. Hasan Imam, Mr. Sachchidanand Sinha, Sir Sultan Ahmed, Mr. P. R. Das and Justice S. P. Verma and others as Chairman. In later years this position was held by Mr. S. N. Sahay, Barrister of law for a very long time. The membership also was equally distinguished. The New Patna Club also owes much to Mr. J. D. Sifton, Mr. H. Coupland, P. T. Mansfield (all of the Indian Civil Service) in its creation and development.
New Patna Club conjures an image of culture, a tradition, a way of life of social behaviour and etiquette of the highest order.